Wednesday 20 June 2012

Blue Lagoon



I just got out of my first Icelandic hot spring in the Blue Lagoon.  The water is from a geothermal plant next to it which pumps up a mixture of fresh and seawater with so many minerals, it makes the water a beautiful turquoise.  Of course the water is cooled to a suitable temperature but it's still hot, up to 38-40 degrees C. The setup is similar to Le Spa Finlandais back home with saunas, steam baths, massaging showers, except that the water is weirdly blue and completely natural (no chlorine added).  Also you swim among lava rocks.  The silica in the water is what makes it such a light blue and coats the rocks with a white plastic-like substance (like a solid Elmer's school glue). See in the photo my foot is on the side in a beach-like area with lava sand.  Waiting for the bus back to Reykjavik.

1 comment:

  1. The time of year I love the weather the most here is the fall, and I've never really gotten to experience the mountains and Denver in the fall because I was always playing and traveling.

    Flights to Abuja | Cheap Flights to Abuja | Cheap Air Tickets to Abuja

    ReplyDelete