Wednesday 1 August 2012

Our Adventure in Costa Rica

Before our Icelandic adventure, Nick and I went to Costa Rica with our best friends Nancy and Serge.  I just recently received Serge's fabulous photos of the Costa Rican scenery and wildlife, so thank you to Serge for all the great memories!

The Costa Rican trip came about by happenstance.  Nancy and I were to take a "girls' vacation" somewhere in the sun.  It had to begin after the second week of April (for my sake) but before May 1st (for Nancy's sake).  Nick and I went to their place for supper so that the girls could discuss plans and check out places on the internet.  We talked about places we would love to see.  I said I'd go back to Hawaii anytime given the opportunity; I'd heard Costa Rica was similar but geographically closer.  Serge added that he'd always wanted to go to Costa Rica, so a little internet searching got us a preliminary itinerary based on a short survey with a set price limit.  We liked what Pacific Trade Winds planned.  So a girls getaway become a couples adventure!  

How to sum up Costa Rica in one phrase - in my opinion it's all about NATURE - Animal, Mineral and Vegetable.  Yes they have beaches, but...
...you want to see animals in the wild and in their habitats?
This guy kept us company at the beach at Manuel Antonio Park!
...you want to see lush plantlife (vegetable)?
I think these are Red Ginger
...you want to see lava and spewing smoke (mineral)? 
Lava rocks at the beach at Manuel Antonio Park

Then Costa Rica's the place to go.  I did not retain the names of all the animals or plantlife that we saw.  I would welcome comments from readers of this blog who know the names of the animals or plants that I cannot identify; so feel free to do so.  I will do my best to identify the ones I remember.

We spent 10 days in Costa Rica and each place was very different than the other although I hear that they were the most popular places people visit when they go.
3 nights La Fortuna at the foot of Arenal Volcano
  
     
    3 nights Monteverde area in the "cloud forest"
    
     and 4 nights Manuel Antonio area on the Pacific Coast


I will post more over the next few days.  But in summary we went on quite a few easy nature hikes through the rain and cloud forests, swam at a waterfall, saw nature while cruising on a river, ziplined over the canopy, visited nearby towns and finally beached it.  We had beautiful weather the whole time except our last day, which we spent packing up and getting ready to leave at 6 am the next morning so it seemed a welcome reprieve. 
Arenal Hanging Bridges

Rio Negro boat cruise



Ziplining - Aventura

Night Walk Monteverde


No comments:

Post a Comment